The Impact of Plastic on the Environment

Written by Jessica N. Moore

After the announcement of Starbucks ditching plastic straws, it seems that other major companies are following suit or have already planned to ditch them.  But exactly how do plastic straws impact the environment and what impact will the lack of plastic straws do to help it?  

Plastic straws take 200 years to break down, and even then it cycles back into our ecosystem which then is in our food supply.  As it breaks down, it releases BPA which is harmful to hormones as well as being carcinogenic. It is sad to think these straws will be around long after we are gone, and future generations are left to deal with the impacts.

Starbucks is moving to a full recyclable lid with a lip but will still offer straws in some drinks, but these straws will be instead made of compostable plastic or paper.  It’s a great start in the right direction but will not come close to completely solving the problem.  Raising awareness does help in the future to stop adding to the problem, but it’s already out of control.

While plastic overall seems to be a topic that everyone has their say on, countries and states have already banned plastic grocery bags altogether but can a move of prohibiting plastic straws, bags, and other plastic materials help with the mess we’ve already gotten ourselves into?

What is the problem with plastic exactly?  The lack of recycling, the process of breaking down, or the lack of recycling programs in particular areas?  While these are contributing factors, it is what the plastic is made of that is harming our environment.  Sure, plastic is convenient and cheap, but with so many people using it a day, it piles up in not only dumps but as litter spread across our world and even in the oceans.  Single-use plastics, whether it is bags, straws or bottles are piling up creating an eyesore for those enjoying the planet.



 beach, sea, coast, sand, plastic, environment

Plastic products are made of polyethylene terephthalate or PET.  These do not decompose as other waste such as wood or food waste would leading it to pile up.  We have options, and the impact of plastic on the environment is showing that we need to start implementing.  Plastics such as plant-based hydro-biodegradable plastic and petroleum-based oxo-biodegradable plastic are alternatives that can break down easier than PET but under certain conditions.

Recently, Fairfax County Environmental posted that locally we shouldn’t put our grocery bags into the recycling because of the damage it does to the recycling trucks and contaminates other recyclable materials.  I thought this was odd at first because you think you should, but they went on to explain plastic grocery bags should be taken back to the grocery store and recycled through their programs.  Here is what you should do instead.  After reading this, I sent my son out to check our recycling bins to make sure I didn’t accidentally contribute to the problem.  

What are your feelings or concerns about plastic products?  Do you think that cutting out straws will start a trend of reducing the use of single-use plastic products?

How Can You Help?

The first step is that you do want to make a difference.  Your difference passes on to others around you, who will also want to make a difference in protecting the environment.  But here a few things you can do right this second to help reduce the impact of plastic:

1. Grab those reusable bags and put them in your car.  My biggest mishap is I get all the way to the store (okay, so I live 5 minutes away from the store) and realize that I left my reusable bags at home.  I’ve been storing them in the car, so they are there when I need them.  Some stores like Aldi’s or Costco do not provide bags, and you must bring your own.  Some stores will give out free coupons for reusable bags, and this is now how I have such a collection of them.
    
Whole Foods and Trader Joes only use paper bags, which can be reused several times.  Whole Foods will offer you five cents off your purchases for each bag you reuse.  I also keep these with me if I know I will not have enough reusable bags for my grocery shopping.                                               

2. Learn what you can recycle.  Used pizza boxes?  Nope!  As we learned above, a specialized recycling program from grocery bags is different than being tossed into regular recycling bins.  Check out the EPA’s Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle page to learn about how the three R’s can make a difference around you.
    
Also, check the numbers on your plastic bottles.  Ever wonder what they mean?  Each number represents the resin the container is made of and if you can recycle it within the local recycling program. 

3. Start a recycling program if there is not one available.  Most places have them, but when I lived in Utah, they did not have one.  All materials went to the landfill, but they could have been made into something else.  It is such a shame now that I’m looking back on it.  Where I live now has several recycling bins out by the trash cans so you can quickly toss in trash or recycling depending on the item.

4. Stop or reduce your personal use of single-use plastics. Straws are on their way out with many companies but you can also do this at home. Try reusable water bottles and reusable straws to start making an impact.


Personally, I love researching and writing about topics such as this because honestly, I do not know it all.  I learn as I go but find it important to educate others on the issues.  I get lost in my research, but I always find something new by the time I finish up a post.  

Thanks for coming back to Variety of Views!  If there is a topic you’d like me to cover, or that you’d like to know more about, please let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts